Los Angeles Slip and Fall Attorney
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, contact a Los Angeles slip and fall attorney at The Reeves Law Group. Our attorneys have been helping slip and fall victims throughout Los Angeles, and the rest of Southern California for over 25 years. Contact us today for a free consultation.
A slip and fall injuries happen when someone falls to the ground and is hurt because of a dangerous condition on another person’s property. Slip and falls come under the area of law called “personal injury.” Personal injury law deals with the harm that people suffer due to the carelessness of another party. These types of accidents can be caused directly by a victim’s interaction with the dangerous condition or indirectly. An example of a direct cause of a slip and fall accident is a liquid that is spilled on a floor that causes someone to lose his or her balance and be hurt. In stores, our attention is drawn to merchandise on the shelves so our attention isn’t always on the floor where we are walking. Other examples of direct causes include some substance or material that affects a person’s ability to walk safely. Examples include snow, ice, poorly maintained floors, cracked or uneven sidewalks, or objects left in a walkway, like a child’s toy.
An indirect cause of a slip and fall is a condition in the environment that plays a factor in someone slipping and falling. Examples of indirect causes include poorly lit walkways, areas that have alternating areas of low light and strong light, and missing or broken handrails. If you need to consult a Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer, contact The Reeves Law Group. For our clients’ convenience, we located in Los Angeles, and have meeting locations throughout southern California.
Our Los Angeles office is located at 1055 West 7th Street, Suite 3333, Los Angeles, CA 90017.
A Review of The Reeves Law Group, Los Angeles Slip and Fall Attorney
Are You in Need of a Professional Slip and Fall Attorney?
Every attorney at The Reeves Law Group knows how devastating an accident can be. We have specialized in personal injury cases for over 25 years and understand that a slip and fall injury can lead to lasting pain, medical needs, and financial hardships. Our Los Angeles slip and fall lawyers and staff are passionate about helping victims recover from accidents as quickly as possible.
We know that an accident can happen when we least expect it. That’s why we offer a free consultation to you at any time, night or day. If you need to speak to a slip and fall attorney in Los Angeles, or you need to find legal representation in another part of California, but aren’t able to make it to our offices, we will come to your home, work, or hospital room. Once we take your case, our firm uses its deep resources and relationships with skilled investigators and evidence experts to put together the most comprehensive, compelling case for compensation. Whether through settlement discussions or litigation, our team will dedicate all necessary resources and time to your cause. Our caring and diligent approach has allowed our firm to amass an impressive track record of million and multi-million dollar verdicts.
What Are Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall accident cases can be difficult to prove because it can be hard to show who was liable for the injury. Most slip and fall cases turn on whether someone acted negligently. To prove negligence on the part of the property owner, your attorney must show that the accident was caused by a dangerous condition on the property and that the property owner knew or should have known about the condition. A dangerous condition can be defined as an unreasonable risk to the visitors that they should not have foreseen. A skilled slip and fall lawyer will know how to review the evidence for these elements and put together the strongest possible case for compensation.
Slip and fall accidents can happen in many different places. The three most common places are on a commercial property, residential property, and government property.
Commercial Property: A property owner, business owner, or employee of a business may be responsible for a slip and fall accident when one of these conditions is met:
- They created the dangerous condition that caused the victim to slip and fall.
- They knew about the dangerous condition but didn’t do anything to fix the problem.
- They should have known about the dangerous condition and had it fixed because a reasonable person would have found out about the dangerous condition and repaired it before someone could get hurt.
Residential Property: Sometimes a property owner or landlord has to compensate a tenant or visitor to the property when someone is hurt in an accident. For this to happen, the following conditions must be met.
- The property owner or landlord knew or should have known about the dangerous condition.
- The property owner or landlord could have repaired the condition
- It was foreseeable that a serious accident would happen if the condition wasn’t repaired.
- Because the property owner or landlord didn’t fix the condition, the victim slipped and fell.
- Slip and fall accidents that happen on property owned by the government raise separate issues that a knowledgeable attorney will be able to address. Some of these issues include statutory laws, complicated rules on filing a claim, and what qualifies as a branch of government or affiliated organization.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere and at any time. Basically any factor that causes someone to lose his or her footing and fall down can be a dangerous, sometimes deadly, condition. The following is a partial list of where slip and fall accidents can happen.
- In homes and businesses
- Indoors and outside
- On mechanical transporters like elevators and escalators
- On walkways and sidewalks
- On concrete, carpet, tile, and linoleum
- During bad weather when rain, sleet or snow make surfaces slippery
- When other conditions make it dangerous to walk, for example when walkways don’t have proper light, concealing a dangerous condition
When the conditions are ripe for a slip and fall accident and someone gets hurt, a range of serious injuries can occur, like:
- Sprained ligaments
- Strained muscles or tendons
- Broken bones
- Head and brain injuries
- Other soft tissue injuries
- Bulging discs and pinched nerves
- Loss of life
Slip and Fall Cases
Each year, thousands of people are hurt in slip and falls across California. It can be difficult for these accident victims to determine who is responsible for the accident. Sometimes, those who are hurt are totally or partially responsible for the accident. Other times, the property owner or its employees are solely responsible. This is because the property owner has the duty to keep the property reasonably clear of dangers that could injure visitors. A skilled slip and fall attorney will see many different types of cases and can accurately assess responsibility in your slip and fall lawsuit. One key indicator of fault is whether the property owner took proper steps to keep the property safe.
- A landowner has to take sensible steps to make their land safe for visitors. This is weighed against the injured victim’s behavior. Did the injured person do something that, in whole or in part, caused the accident? If your case goes to trial, your attorney will have to demonstrate that the business or residential property owner knew or should have known about the existence of the dangerous condition and didn’t remove the risk, thus causing you to be hurt.
- An example of a slip and fall case is when a liquid, like milk or juice, is spilled on a grocery store floor and a customer who is shopping at the store slips and is hurt. Key questions about this type of accident are:
o Why was the floor wet?
o Was the slickness of the floor reasonable or not?
o How long had the liquid been left on the floor?
o Did the shop know about the spill? Did anyone attempt to clean it up or place signs warning customers about the spill?
When your lawyer successfully handles your case, you will be awarded “damages.” This is a financial award that is intended to measure the accident’s impact on your life. Damages in slip and fall cases vary depending on the seriousness of your injuries and include the accident’s actual financial impact as well as its non-financial effects.
Types of damages include:
- Medical costs. This award can cover both past and future expenses like hospital visits, screenings and examinations, epidural injections, rehabilitation and physical therapy, and prescription medications.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. You may be able to recover money that you lost out on because the accident caused you to miss work. Additionally, if the accident was so serious that you can’t return to your job or you have to change careers, you may be compensated.
- Pain and suffering. Damages can be given for the physical pain and mental impact of the accident on you life.
- Punitive damages. Sometimes a defendant’s behavior is so grossly outrageous a court will award damages to punish the behavior and keep other people from doing the same thing in the future.
Slip and Fall Settlements in California
Many times, a slip and fall case won’t go to trial because the property owner will want to settle the case earlier. This is especially true when you have an experienced slip and fall attorney on your side. There are steps that you can take right after the accident that will help your lawyer put together the most compelling case for compensation.
- Note whether the accident happened at someone’s residence or at a business.
- Write down the details of the accident. What caused the accident? Poor lighting? A wet floor? Bad weather conditions? An object placed on the floor that didn’t belong there?
- Take photos of where the accident happened and try to capture images of what you think caused the accident to happen. It is important to document the cause of the accident before the property owner has a chance to fix it.
- Inform the property owner of the accident. If you were hurt at a business, ask the owner or manager to write up an accident report and ask for a copy of this report. Make sure to share this report with your attorney.
- Set aside the clothes you were wearing, including your shoes, so that the other side can’t place blame on these items. For instance, they could say that the soles of your shoes lacked proper tread to grip the floor.
- Write down contact information of any witnesses as well as their impressions of the accident.
- Get medical attention and keep records of all doctor’s visits.
- Take photos of your injuries.
California Trip and Fall Statistics
Slip and fall accidents are serious injuries that hurt millions of people each year. The Liberty Mutual Research Institute for Safety found that slip and falls cost U.S. businesses $16.5 billion each year because of employee injuries. The California Department of Public Health keeps track of accident statistics for the general population in the state and found the following numbers for 2013:
- There were 848,647 slip and fall accidents that required people to be seen at the hospital
- 109,952 people were hospitalized for their slip and fall accidents
- 2,186 people lost their lives in these falls
- Those 65 and over are the main victims of slip and fall accidents
- Slip and falls were the #1 cause of traumatic brain injury, with 143,750 cases
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has noted that 1 out of 3 adults age 65 and over will fall every year. Major injuries like lacerations, broken bones, and brain injuries often result from these accidents. A Los Angeles slip and fall attorney can help these accident victims recover the compensation they need to recover from their injuries.
How to Contact a Los Angeles Slip and Fall Lawyer if You Have Been Injured
If you need to speak with an attorney, The Reeves Law Group is ready to help. We have meeting locations in Los Angeles, and throughout the state of California to accommodate you. Our team acts quickly to collect important evidence before it is lost and we create a plan to maximize the compensation you are owed. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a slip and fall accident, call today to set up a free case review and allow our team to represent your best interests.