Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney
If you or someone you love has been hurt in an accident, a personal injury attorney can help you heal quickly and rebuild your life after the misfortune. The Reeves Law Group specializes in accident and personal injury cases and has successfully represented thousands of injured clients throughout the Los Angeles area for over 30 years. The Reeves Law Group stands up for everyday people who often don’t have other options. Our attorneys have been nationally recognized, are members of the Multi Million Dollar Advocates and have recovered over $200 Million dollars for our clients.
The lead trial attorney at The Reeves Law Group, Derek Pakiz, was featured as Newsweek’s Top 10 Trial Lawyers in the Country. The National Trial Lawyers Association has also recognized Derek Pakiz as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in the nation.
The Reeves Law Group is a southern California personal injury law firm that is well known and respected through a long record of success, fighting large insurance companies, well-financed corporate and individual defendants. These abilities are due to our large size, legal expertise and financial resources. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Our Los Angeles office is located at 1055 West 7th Street, Suite 3333, Los Angeles, CA 90017.
- In 2013, the California Department of Public Health reported 67,534 accidental injuries that hospitalized people in Los Angeles.
- Los Angeles had over two and a half times the number of accidents as San Diego, the California city with the second highest number of hospitalized injuries. San Diego had 25,436 accident injuries in 2013.
Accidents affect our lives in many different ways. Some have devastating immediate consequences that can impact our lives in the long run. When you are involved in an accident, like a car crash, slip and fall or workplace injury, you can find yourself facing physical wounds and high psychological and financial costs.
Common consequences of personal injuries include:
- Temporary or long-lasting bodily injury and impaired physical and mental abilities
- Expensive medical treatments
- Inability to return to your job or join the workforce in another capacity
- Feelings of anxiety, stress, or depression
- Property damage
Accident insurance should give us peace of mind when misfortune strikes. But sometimes, insurance companies will attempt to wiggle out of their responsibilities in caring for someone who was hurt in an accident. For example, a representative for the insurance company may offer to settle a case for much less than what the injured person is owed. When this happens, a skilled Los Angeles personal injury attorney will know exactly what to do. A qualified personal injury lawyer will be able to accurately determine the compensation that you are owed based on all of the losses you have suffered and may suffer as a consequence of the accident. If you have been hurt in an accident, don’t handle discussions with your insurance company on your own. Instead, contact a personal injury attorney and let your lawyer handle all communications. Not only will your Los Angeles personal injury lawyer be able to deal with insurance companies, but when necessary, can also navigate your case through the court system.
Are You Looking for a Personal Injury Attorney in Los Angeles?
When an accident strikes, you may be hurt and confused about the best steps to take in the wake of the accident. One of the best decisions you can make is to speak with an attorney who specializes in personal injury law. A great personal injury lawyer has experience, resources, and a desire to help.
- When you have been hurt by someone’s careless actions, a lawyer can help you win compensation from the responsible party. However, not all lawyers are equally qualified to take on your case. It is important to choose an attorney who has years of experience handling personal injury cases.
- Your personal injury attorney should also specialize in your type of case. For example, if you have been in a car accident, you should retain a lawyer who has handled matters like yours.
- It is critical that your personal injury lawyer has a record of winning. If an attorney has a long history of earning compensation for their clients, this indicates that they will know the steps to take to make sure that your case is successful. The most successful attorneys work with other experts to build the most compelling case for compensation. Lawyers often work closely with investigators and evidence experts who gather evidence at the scene of the accident and recreate the event that caused you to be hurt. This can be extremely useful when your attorney presents information to a jury or during settlement discussions.
- One of the most important characteristics of great personal injury attorneys is a commitment to the client’s best interests. This trait should be evident from the minute the lawyer first receives the call that you have been hurt. Your attorney should immediately set up a meeting to review your case. The attorneys at The Reeves Law Group will meet with you at any hour of the day and will travel to you if you are too hurt to come to one of our offices. We review your case for free and advance all costs of your case. You don’t pay until we win you compensation. This is part of the firm’s philosophy. We practice personal injury law because we are committed to protecting the rights of accident victims.
Have You Been Hurt in a Slip and Fall Accident?
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common personal injuries that happen to people when they are out and about. The National Floor Safety Institute has reported that more than 8 million people go to the hospital each year after slipping and falling. This type of accident is the leading cause of days missed from work.
A slip and fall accident is when someone loses their footing and falls to the ground. The cause of the accident can be a slippery substance on the floor, like water, a defect in the floor, like uneven terrain, or another factor like poor lighting, which makes it difficult for the accident victim to see where to walk.
Most slip and fall cases turn on the victim’s slip and fall attorney demonstrating that the property owner or the owner’s representatives were negligent. In legal terms, negligence refers to someone’s behavior that doesn’t line up with the expectations that the law requires of them. In California, we have an obligation to act reasonably with one another.
To prove that someone was negligent, you have to show:
- That the defendant had a duty to act reasonably
- The defendant’s actions fell short of this duty
- Because this duty was not fulfilled, the victim was hurt
- The victim’s losses placed a monetary burden on them
To show negligence, the slip and fall attorney will need to demonstrate that a property owner created the dangerous condition, or knew or should have known about the dangerous condition, and didn’t take action to fix the problem. Because the owner didn’t take care of the condition, the victim slipped and fell, sustaining injuries. A skilled slip and fall attorney will be able to review the facts of your case and determine if a property owner’s negligence was responsible for your slip and fall accident.
Sometimes the party responsible for a slip and fall is a government entity. On June 27, 2015, the Los Angeles Times reported that the city of Los Angeles was spending $1.4 billion on repairs for 2,500 miles of sidewalk that posed serious risks for pedestrians. If someone falls as a result of one of these cracks, the defendant could be the city. A slip and fall attorney will know the process for pursuing a claim again the government.
Do You Have a Loved One Who Was a Victim of a Wrongful Death?
Personal injury accidents can affect our lives in many ways. Sometimes the only result from an accident is a relatively small injury, like a broken bone that heals in a couple months. But other accidents have long-term effects. The worst consequence of an accident is when someone loses his or her life. Life-ending accidents can happen in a car crash, slip and fall, because of a defective product, or in many other scenarios when someone acts negligently. When this happens, a wrongful death lawsuit can earn compensation for the surviving family members.
When someone dies in an accident, that person’s surviving relatives can bring a wrongful death claim for the losses that they have suffered because of the death. Compensation can include economic damages like the loss of financial support because the victim passed away and can’t bring in money for the family. Non-economic damages include the loss of the person’s companionship, love, and training.
Another type of claim is called a survivorship claim. This is brought on the behalf of the deceased person for the losses suffered after the accident while the person was still alive. Damages can include expenses like transportation to the hospital, bills for medical treatment, and lost income while the person was in the hospital. If a wrongful death lawyer is successful in bringing the survivorship claim, then the award belongs to the deceased’s estate and is distributed according to the person’s will or under the state’s intestate succession laws. If you have lost a loved one in an accident, speak with a wrongful death attorney immediately. Your attorney will be able to review your case and determine the strength of your wrongful death lawsuit.
Are You the Victim of a Brain Injury?
Brain injuries from accidents can bring life-altering repercussions. If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury, you should contact our firm’s Los Angeles brain injury attorneys without delay.
A traumatic brain injury happens any time there is a change in how the brain functions as a result of some external force or injury. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found the following statistics with regard to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs):
- Slip and Falls cause 40.5 % of TBIs
- Traffic accidents cause 14.3% of TBIs
- Other striking injuries cause 15.5% of TBIs
A traumatic brain injury can alter someone’s life in a flash. Annually, TBIs cause:
- 52,000 deaths;
- 280,000 people to be hospitalized; and
- 2.2 million emergency room visits.
If you are involved in an accident and suspect that you or a family member has suffered a traumatic brain injury, the following tips can help you deal with the difficult situation.
- Get immediate medical attention. Call 911 to the scene and have the injured person transported to the hospital. The responding team will provide emergency care and then take steps to identify and treat the issue.
- Photograph the scene of the accident. This will preserve key pieces of evidence that can uncover how the accident occurred and who is responsible.
- Speak with a brain injury lawyer. The best attorney will pursue all avenues of compensation so that the injured victim can make the fullest recovery possible.
Are You the Victim of a Spinal Cord Injury?
Experienced personal injury lawyers know a spinal cord injury (SCI) can leave an accident victim with serious, lifelong problems. The spinal cord is the group of nerves that allows the brain to communicate with the rest of the body. Our ability to move and feel is connected to these nerves. When any part of the spinal cord is injured, a person may face the loss of strength, sensation, and mobility. Sadly, these debilitating injuries are common in many times of accidents. The National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center found the following stats:
- There are 12,000 new spinal cord injury cases each year
- Approximately 270,000 people live with SCIs
- 39.2% of SCIs are caused by car crashes
- The average lifetime cost of treating a 25-year-old person who suffers a severe SCI (tetraplegia) is over $4.5 million
When a victim is successful in bringing a spinal cord injury case, damages are awarded. Damages are money that is given as compensation for the injuries and losses that the victim suffered. This is the legal remedy that the responsible party must pay as a result of acting carelessly.
Similar to other personal injury cases, in a spinal cord injury case, damages may be awarded for the following:
- Past and future medical treatment that the victim will need to deal with the injury
- Lost income caused by time away from work and the partial or total inability to return to the workforce
- Assistive medical devices needed for mobility
- Pain and suffering
- The loss of sexual intimacy with a spouse as a result of the injury
- Punitive damages that punish the defendant’s behavior may be awarded when the behavior is considered extremely careless. Courts use this type of damages to deter similar behavior in the future.
Are You Looking for a Car Accident Lawyer in Los Angeles?
Southern California has a car culture. Each day millions of automobiles travel the network of Los Angeles freeways and streets. Unfortunately the high number of vehicles on the road, combined with other factors like speed and road conditions, make accidents inevitable. In 2012, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) counted 50,622 injury collisions in Los Angeles County. 585 accidents caused fatalities.
In the aftermath of a vehicle accident, you may be scared and confused. You and those with you may be hurt. The time right after a crash is one of the most critical moments for protecting yourself and preserving your ability to get compensated down the road. There is never a better time to collect evidence about how the accident happened then right after the crash.
Here are some of the ways that you can record important information about the accident and help your car accident lawyer demonstrate who is liable for the wreck.
- Witness Accounts. Collect the names and contact information of everyone who witnessed the crash. Ask them for their impressions of how the crash happened. Their accounts can be key pieces of evidence because they are third parties that don’t have an interest in the outcome of the case. Remember that witnesses can be other drivers and passengers on the road as well as pedestrians and those in nearby businesses.
- Take Photos. Another important way to capture the evidence at the crash site is by photographing it. Nowadays almost all cell phones have cameras. Use a cell phone camera to shoot the accident scene from different vantage points. Try to shoot a photo that shows the whole scene of the crash. Then move in closer and capture the details of how you think the accident happened and the damage that it caused.
- Accident Reports. After a vehicle incident, reports will be created by the different responders. Police, paramedics, and tow companies will write up accounts of the crash. Each report can be a key piece of evidence about who or what caused the wreck. Together, these reports can be critical for winning your case. Make sure to ask for copies of these reports and share these documents with your car accident lawyer.
Have You Been Injured in an Auto Accident?
Most of the time, people who are in car crashes just let their insurance companies handle the problem. Although auto insurance can help a person recover from the wreck, sometimes the amount paid by an insurance company doesn’t cover all of the repair and medical expenses. To fully recover, it may be necessary to pursue compensation from the parties responsible for the crash. Although we don’t always think about it, the drivers aren’t always the ones who caused the wreck.
Here is a partial list of parties who may have to compensate you for an accident.
- Vehicle Manufacturers. Companies sometimes put defective autos out onto the roads. There can be problems with how a piece of the vehicle was designed or how it was manufactured. Common defective products include airbags, breaks, steering columns, seat belts, and fuel lines. When a defect causes an accident or fails to protect the passengers, as it should, the companies involved in the manufacturing and distribution process may be liable. A skilled Los Angeles car accident lawyer will know how to pursue a claim against these companies.
- Government Agencies. Our local, state, and federal governments have the responsibility to engineer and build our streets and highways in a way that promotes safety. When these agencies create dangerous roads either through poor design, bad construction, or improper maintenance, they may be liable for a car accident. This includes making sure that stop lights work and important signage is placed and visible.
- Business Owners. When an employee causes an accident while on the clock, the employer may be on the hook for the damage. This doctrine of law is called “vicarious liability” and means that an employer can be liable just because the employee was acting as an agent for the employer. For this to apply, the employee must have been engaged in a task for the business and the action that caused the accident was something that the employee was hired to do.
Have You Been Injured in a Motorcycle Accident?
As the cost of gas has risen, sales of fuel-efficient motorcycles have risen. The Los Angeles Times reported that bike sales were up 8.2% in the first quarter of 2015. Unfortunately, motorcycle fatalities have risen too. Today, bike deaths are twice as high as they were in 1997. Although motorcycles account for only 3% of the vehicles on the road, motorcycle fatalities make up 14% of all roadway deaths.
The Governors Highway Safety Association reported in May 2015 that motorcycle safety is lagging behind safety developments of other vehicles. Technology like sturdier frames and airbags in passenger vehicles is saving lives. Meanwhile, motorcycle rider safety depends heavily on rider gear, like helmets and riding leathers.
A motorcycle accident attorney knows that a rider’s vulnerability may be due to the condition of a road or the behavior of other drivers.
- The condition of a street or highway can cause a motorcycle accident. Potholes, speed bumps, oil or water on the riding surface, uneven pavement, and debris can cause a motorcyclist to lose control of a bike.
- Many accidents happen because other drivers don’t see motorcyclists. The size of a motorcycle, compared to a car or truck, makes it more likely that the bike will be in another driver’s blind spot. Many motorcycle crashes happen at intersections when drivers don’t see bike riders turning left.
If you are in a motorcycle accident, make sure to speak with a Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorney. A skilled lawyer will understand the specific challenges that motorcyclists face when making a claim for compensation.
Have You Been in an Accident Involving a Big Rig or Semi Truck?
Large truck accidents can be some of the most devastating types of crashes. Big rigs weigh upwards of 80,000 lbs. when fully loaded and can travel at high rates of speed. The size and weight of a loaded semi-truck make it very difficult to stop quickly. If you are involved in a truck crash, speak with a truck accident lawyer. An experienced attorney will know the best strategy for winning compensation from the liable parties.
Truck accidents pose special issues because handling a truck requires particular skills. However, drivers of semi-trucks aren’t always prepared to climb behind the wheel. Thus, most tractor-trailer accidents happen because of drive carelessness.
The following list outlines a few ways that truck drivers can cause accidents.
- Speeding. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has noted that 1 in 5 truck accident fatalities is due to speeding. Through inattention or because they are hurried to get to their delivery point, truck drivers often go over posted speed limits. The results can be deadly.
- Exhaustion. Truck drivers have demanding schedules and face pressures to transport their loads quickly across long distances. Though the FMCSA regulates the hours that a driver can be on the road, the limits are still quite high. A tired truck driver may not be alert enough to prevent an accident.
- Improper Loading. Trucks that are overloaded or loaded in a way that puts more weight on one side can cause a big rig to jack-knife or roll over. The truck’s tires may also blow causing the driver to lose control.
- Drug Use. To stay awake and alert, many truck drivers use stimulants and illegal drugs. These drugs are responsible for many deadly crashes each year.
Truck accident cases can be complex because trucking companies usually retain legal teams that specialize in these cases. If you or a loved one has been involved in a big rig accident, you need a truck accident attorney in Los Angeles who has experience with similar cases.
Contact the Reeves Law Group if You Have Been Injured in an Accident
For the last 25 years, The Reeves Law Group has been representing Los Angeles residents who have been the victims of accidents. Since day one, our Los Angeles injury attorneys have been committed to protecting those who have been hurt by the carelessness of others. The expertise and care that we give each case has garnered attention from local and national legal organizations. If you have been hurt in an accident, contact us today for a free consultation.