Your San Bernardino Truck Accident Attorney
Derek Pakiz at the Reeves Law Group is a highly rated and trusted Personal Injury Attorney specializing in Truck Accident cases and servicing all of San Bernardino.
In the midst of the physical and emotional pain and turmoil after a truck wreck you may ask: why hire our law firm?
The answer is easy: Derek is one of the top authorities in California on trucking accident injury cases, thanks to his extensive hands-on and in-court experience and considering that he is only out out of than 250,000 attorneys in California to be certified in both Civil Trial and Truck Accident law.
At the Reeves Law Group, we have carved out a unique niche for ourselves in the realm of semi truck and 18 wheeler accident injuries. For example, one significant truck crash case that our firm won was worth north of $8 million.
Feel free to browse the latest testimonials on our website from local San Bernardino residents, or research our firm’s reputation on Google.
Why Hire The Reeves Law Group for Your Accident Claim?
- Over $250,000,000 Recovered for Our Clients
- Newsweek’s 10 Best Personal Injury Attorneys
- No Fee Guarantee – No Fees Unless We Win
It’s a difficult decision to make the first call, but if you or your loved one has sustained an injury due to a truck or large commercial vehicle, Call (800) 644-8000 or contact us for a free consultation.
Derek Pakiz, the San Bernardino truck accident trial attorney at the Reeves Law Group aggressively represents his clients, whilst consistently demonstrating empathy and a deep sense of care. Our firm can give you formal legal advice about your truck crash and potential personal injury claim, and some of the emotional and financial stress you’re facing can be alleviated.
How can we help after a truck crash?
When a devastating truck accident turns your world upside down, you need strong legal representation to help navigate the rough waters of personal injury litigation. Derek Pakiz and the Reeves Law Group is an experienced Truck Accident Attorney in San Bernardino that understand the complexities of these cases and fight relentlessly to secure the compensation you deserve.
With extensive knowledge of commercial vehicle regulations and California law, we ensure that no stone is unturned in securing your rights. Read on to explore how our legal expertise can make a significant difference in your truck crash claim.
A local and experienced law firm can provide you with expert legal guidance and representation if you have been involved in a tractor trailer or semi truck related collision that resulted in injuries or death. They will navigate the complexities of your case, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and work towards securing the maximum compensation for your injuries, damages, and losses.
By hiring a dedicated personal injury attorney that specializes in truck wrecks, you will increase your chances of receiving the justice and financial recovery you deserve. Contact our firm for a free consultation to discuss the specifics of your case.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a truck accident, call The Reeves Law Group at (800) 644-8000. Our expert and compassionate law firm has experience handling small and large truck accident cases and maximizing results for our clients.
About Truck Accidents in San Bernardino
San Bernardino, known for its bustling roads and growing industrial sector, faces the challenge of frequent truck accidents each year.
Even with strict traffic regulations and the promotion of road safety measures, truck accidents are a common occurrence in San Bernardino’s streets, highways, and intersections. Many of these accidents result from negligence and could be significantly reduced if proper precautions were observed by all parties involved.
A notable truck accident took place near the intersection of Kendall Drive and University Parkway in San Bernardino, where a semi-truck collided with several vehicles, causing extensive damage and injuries. Another incident involved a pickup truck overturning on Interstate 215, leading to significant traffic delays and injuries to the driver.
In a tragic case, a family’s car was struck by a commercial truck on Route 66, resulting in severe injuries to the family members. The truck driver, cited for speeding and reckless driving, failed to stop at a red light, causing the catastrophic crash.
Such accidents often leave not just the direct victims but their families too, grappling with the aftermath, which includes emotional trauma, substantial medical bills, and, in some cases, funeral arrangements.
The impact of a truck accident can be profound and long-lasting, affecting individuals and families alike.
These incidents highlight the ongoing risk present on San Bernardino roads. Awareness and preparedness are key for residents and visitors alike to navigate these risks and know how to respond in the aftermath of a truck accident.
Important Truck vs Car accident facts
– Difference in Stopping Distance: Semi-trucks have a significantly longer stopping distance compared to cars. Even in optimal conditions, a fully loaded semi-truck can take over 300 feet to come to a complete stop, whereas a car may only need about 130 feet.
– Higher Fatality Rate in Cars: In collisions involving semi-trucks and cars, occupants of the car are at a much higher risk of fatality. This is due to the size and weight disparity between the vehicles.
– Blind Spots: Semi-trucks have larger blind spots, known as “No-Zones,” where a car can virtually disappear from the truck driver’s view. These blind spots are significantly larger than those of a regular car.
– Rollover Risk: Semi-trucks have a higher center of gravity, which increases their risk of rollover, especially during sharp turns or sudden maneuvers. This can be hazardous for nearby cars.
– Impact of Load Shifts: Improperly loaded or secured cargo in a semi-truck can shift during transit, affecting the truck’s stability and control. This can lead to accidents, particularly if the truck is making turns or abrupt stops.
– Longer Reaction Times: Due to their size and complexity, semi-trucks require more time and distance to react to road conditions and traffic changes compared to cars.
– Underride Accidents: In some collisions, a car can slide under the trailer of a semi-truck, a scenario known as an underride accident. These accidents are often severe due to the car’s roof being crushed or sheared off.
– Roadway Limitations: Semi-trucks have limitations in maneuverability, especially on narrow roads, sharp curves, or in areas with low overpasses. This can pose risks for accidents with cars that may not face the same limitations.
What can Cause a Truck Wreck?
Truck vs car or other smaller vehicle type accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, here are some of the most common causes:
- Driver Fatigue: Long working hours cause truck drivers to become tired, impacting their driving skills.
- Speeding: To meet deadlines, truck drivers often exceed speed limits, heightening accident risks.
- Distracted Driving: Using phones, eating, or GPS distracts drivers, increasing accident likelihood.
- Impaired Driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication greatly raises recklessness. This can be a big issue in southern California..
- Poor Truck Maintenance: Neglected maintenance can lead to mechanical failures and accidents.
- Inadequate Training: Some truck drivers lack proper training, leading to driving mistakes.
- Unsecured Loads: Improperly secured cargo can shift and cause trucks to tip over.
- Unsafe Lane Changes: Trucks’ size and blind spots necessitate extra care when changing lanes.
- Following Too Closely: Trucks need more stopping time, making tailgating particularly dangerous.
- Weather Conditions: Conditions like rain or fog in San Bernardino increase driving hazards for trucks.
- Reckless Driving: Aggressive driving by some truckers, especially independent contractors, leads to accidents.
- Equipment Failure: Faulty brakes, steering, or tires can cause critical safety issues.
Common Injuries from Truck Accidents
Common truck accidents injuries include:
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Crush injuries
- Bone fractures and broken bones throughout the body
- Traumatic brain injuries and other head trauma
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal Injuries
- Wrongful death fatalities
Truck Accidents Can Result from Various Negligent Actions
When it comes to truck and tractor trailer-type accidents, determining fault and liability is a complex task that requires expertise and experience. This is where an experienced trucking accident attorney becomes invaluable. They have extensive knowledge of traffic laws, regulations, and industry standards that govern the operation of commercial trucks. Their role is to evaluate the circumstances surrounding the accident and identify potential negligent parties responsible for the collision.
Evaluating negligence and fault involves a thorough investigation into various factors such as driver error, mechanical failure, negligent maintenance, improper loading, or even manufacturer defects. Your legal team will gather evidence from police reports, witness statements, accident reconstruction specialists, and expert testimony if necessary.
Trucking companies are held to specific safety regulations set by federal and state authorities. Therefore, it’s essential to assess whether the driver or the trucking company violated any regulations leading up to the accident. The law firm will scrutinize records such as logbooks, vehicle maintenance logs, and surveillance footage to establish if any violations occurred.
For instance, let’s imagine a case where a truck driver failed to properly secure their cargo resulting in an accident. In this scenario, fault might lie with both the driver for negligence and the trucking company for failing to ensure proper training and supervision of its drivers.
The evaluation of fault and liability is not always straightforward; multiple parties could share responsibility for a trucking accident. Identifying all potentially liable parties is crucial to ensuring maximum compensation for your injuries.
- According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, approximately 500,000 truck accidents occur every year in the United States.
- Statistics provided by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration show that around 74% of all fatal vehicle accidents in 2016 involved large trucks.
- The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reported in 2019 that California is among the top five states with the highest number of fatal truck wrecks, emphasizing the need for specialized legal assistance in these cases.
Services Provided by a Local Truck Accident Attorney
When it comes to navigating the complex world of truck accident claims, having a skilled and experienced law firm by your side can make all the difference. A truck accident attorney specializes in providing crucial services to victims who have suffered injuries or losses due to trucking wrecks. Their role extends beyond just legal representation; they offer comprehensive support throughout the entire process. Let’s explore some of the key services provided:
Thorough Investigation and Evidence Gathering
Imagine you were involved in a serious semi truck wreck, resulting in significant injuries. In this scenario, a trucking and big rig accident attorney would immediately initiate a thorough investigation into the incident. This includes gathering evidence such as police reports, witness statements, surveillance footage, black box data, and any other relevant information that can help build a strong case on your behalf. By conducting an extensive investigation, they aim to uncover negligence or liability on the part of the truck driver, trucking company, or other parties involved.
Legal Representation and Expertise
Once the necessary evidence has been gathered, a truck crash specialist will provide expert legal representation on your behalf. They are well-versed in federal and state laws pertaining to commercial trucking and understand how these regulations apply to your case. By leveraging their knowledge and expertise, they will navigate the complexities of the legal system while advocating for your rights and working towards ensuring you receive fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
Negotiation with Insurance Companies
Dealing with insurance companies can be daunting, especially when they attempt to minimize or deny your claim altogether. An experienced truck accident law firm will handle all communication and negotiations with insurance companies on your behalf. Drawing upon their understanding of insurance tactics and industry standards, they will work diligently to pursue maximum compensation for medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other related damages.
Building a Strong Case
A truck crash professional will meticulously analyze the evidence they have collected to build a strong case. They will assess the extent of your injuries, consult with medical experts if necessary, and calculate the full extent of your damages to ensure no aspect is overlooked. By constructing a compelling case, they aim to establish liability and demonstrate the impact of the accident on your physical, emotional, and financial well-being.
Trial Advocacy, if Needed
In some instances, reaching a fair settlement through negotiation may prove challenging. In such cases, a commercial vehicle accident attorney is prepared to take your case to trial. They possess the skills and experience required to present your case effectively in court, presenting compelling arguments and advocating for your rights before a judge and jury.
With a clear understanding of the services provided by one of these attorneys, let’s now delve into how they can specifically assist you with your truck wreck claim.
Assisting with your Truck Accident Claim
A truck accident claim involves several complex legal procedures that can be overwhelming for someone unfamiliar with the process. That’s where a skilled personal injury attorney with experience in truck crashes comes in. They provide invaluable assistance throughout your tractor trailer vs car accident claim journey, ensuring that you have the best possible chance of receiving the compensation you deserve. Here are some ways in which they can assist you:
First and foremost, a greatt attorney will provide guidance and support from day one. From helping you understand your legal rights and options to answering any questions you may have about the claims process, they aim to alleviate your concerns and provide peace of mind during this stressful time.
Additionally, they will handle all communication with insurance companies on your behalf. This includes submitting necessary documents, negotiating settlements, and addressing any disputes that arise during the claims process. Having an attorney manage these interactions can help protect your rights and prevent insurers from taking advantage of you.
An experienced firm will also ensure that your claim is properly valued. They will assess the extent of your injuries, consider any long-term implications or future medical needs, and calculate the full extent of your damages. This includes not only medical expenses but also lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and other related losses.
Throughout the process, the firm will handle all the necessary paperwork and ensure that important deadlines are met. This saves you from potential errors or omissions that could harm your claim. By having an expert manage the administrative aspects, you can focus on recovering from your injuries and healing.
Should your case go to trial, your legal team will provide strong advocacy in the courtroom. They have experience presenting compelling arguments, cross-examining witnesses, and effectively conveying the impact of the accident on your life. Their goal is to secure the best possible outcome for you.
Having understood how these attorneys can assist with your claim, it’s crucial to recognize how they can maximize your compensation. Let’s explore this further.
How an Attorney can Maximize Your Compensation
Truck wrecks can have devastating consequences, both physically and financially. If you’ve been involved in a crash in the San Bernardino area, it’s crucial to seek the assistance of an experienced law firm who can help maximize your compensation. But how exactly can these attorneys do that?
One of the primary roles of a skilled attorney is to conduct a thorough investigation into the accident. This includes gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing police reports, and analyzing any available surveillance or dashcam footage. By meticulously examining the details of the accident, a trusted attorney can build a strong case on your behalf, increasing your chances of obtaining maximum compensation.
For instance, imagine you were injured in a big rig accident due to the negligent actions of the truck driver. An experienced attorney would investigate factors such as whether the driver violated traffic laws, was driving under the influence, or failed to properly maintain the vehicle. They would also assess factors like road conditions and weather that could have contributed to the accident. By uncovering these critical details and building a compelling case, your attorney can fight for your rights and maximize your compensation.
Another way that your law firm can help maximize your compensation is by accurately assessing the full extent of your damages. In addition to medical expenses and property damage, they will consider other relevant factors such as lost wages, future medical treatment needs, rehabilitation costs, and even pain and suffering caused by the accident. By ensuring that no aspect of your damages goes unnoticed or undervalued, an experienced attorney can pursue fair and comprehensive compensation on your behalf.
Why Opt for a Skilled Truck Accident Lawyer
San Bernardino, known for its high volume of commercial truck traffic, poses unique challenges when it comes to pursuing a trucking accident claim. That’s why it is essential to choose a skilled truck accident lawyer such as Derek Pakiz who has specific knowledge and experience handling cases in this region.
Mr. Pakiz is familiar with San Bernardino’s local laws, court systems, and regulations pertaining to truck accidents will have an advantage in building a compelling case tailored to the jurisdiction. He will be well-versed in understanding how different factors, such as traffic conditions or specific roadways, can impact accident causation. This familiarity can significantly strengthen your case and increase the likelihood of maximizing your compensation.
Furthermore, choosing an attorney who has established relationships with local experts and professionals who can provide invaluable support during the investigation and litigation processes. These connections can range from accident reconstruction specialists and medical professionals to industry experts who can testify on your behalf. By leveraging these resources, a skilled lawyer like Derek can further bolster your case and enhance its chances of success.
Just as hiring a local guide can lead you to hidden gems in an unfamiliar city, choosing Derek and the Reeves Law Group in San Bernardino ensures you have someone by your side who knows the intricacies of the region’s legal landscape.
Do I Need an Attorney for Suing a Trucking Company?
Yes you need an attorney, because suing a trucking company is very difficult on your own even if the outcome was tragic and seemingly obvious.
You would very likely want to need to hire counsel for your truck accident if you’ve suffered some level injury from an 18 wheeler or other commercial truck and you want to increase your chances of winning your lawsuit (and winning big). Of course, a positive medical outcome and maximum compensation from the at-fault party or parties is what you most want in this desperate and traumatically painful time.
You’ll want to seek the compensation you deserve for medical expenses to get the best care possible for your injuries, and in order to do that you’ll need the services of a trusted, experienced and well-funded truck accident law firm to represent you. That’s where we come in.
At The Reeves Law Group, we are a dedicated trucking accident law firm and we are fully prepared to win your case. When you need to file a truck accident injury claim or help to deal with an insurance company, we’re here to help you get the fair compensation you deserve.
With accidents involving local and long-distance commercial vehicles, like big rigs, semi-trucks, and 18-wheelers, and delivery vehicles like FedEx trucks, UPS trucks, and Amazon trucks, determining what caused the accident, who is responsible, and how to be compensated for your suffering are complicated questions.
Commercial trucking accident lawsuits may involve many parties, including the truck driver, the owner of the truck involved, the vehicle manufacturer, and the owner of the transported load.
An experienced tractor trailer accident attorney will have the ability to reconstruct how your accident happened and determine whether you have a valid claim for compensation.
If you need to consult with a lawyer regarding a trucking accident, contact us today. Our trial team has the knowledge and skill to help our clients get the best representation for their accident cases.
Working with a Local San Bernardino Based Trucking Accident Lawyer
If you have been involved in a truck or other big rig type accident with your own vehicle, it is essential to hire an experienced legal professional who can help maximize your compensation. These attorneys play a crucial role in conducting thorough investigations into the accident by gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing reports, and analyzing footage. By building a strong case based on these details, they significantly increase your chances of obtaining maximum compensation.
In addition to investigating the accident, a skilled truck crash attorney accurately assesses the full extent of your damages. This includes not only medical expenses and property damage but also lost wages, future medical treatment needs, rehabilitation costs, and pain and suffering caused by the accident. By considering all aspects of your damages, they can pursue fair and comprehensive compensation on your behalf.
Dealing with insurance companies after a truck accident can be challenging, as they often try to minimize payouts or shift blame onto victims. However, an experienced firm knows how to navigate these complexities. They will handle all communication with insurance adjusters, ensuring that your rights are protected and that you are not taken advantage of.
Opting for a skilled truck accident lawyer specifically in San Bernardino is crucial because they have extensive knowledge of local laws and regulations. They are familiar with the unique factors that may have contributed to the accident, such as road conditions and weather patterns in the area. This expertise allows them to build a compelling case tailored to the specific circumstances of your accident.
Overall, hiring legal counsel is essential for maximizing your compensation after a truck accident. They take on the responsibility of investigating the accident, assessing damages accurately, handling communication with insurance companies, and advocating for your rights. By entrusting your case to an experienced attorney, you can focus on recovery while feeling confident that your legal interests are being protected.
What to look for when choosing an attorney to hire
Choosing a specific type of accident attorney involves a careful evaluation of several attributes:
- Experience: Ensure the attorney has tackled and mastered truck accident cases in their career.
- Track Record: Verify that they have consistently won favorable outcomes in similar cases.
- Specialization: Confirm that the attorney devotes a substantial part of their practice to personal injury law and truck accidents.
- Knowledge: Check if they are well-versed in the laws and regulations surrounding the trucking industry.
- Understanding of Trucking Industry: Scrutinize their understanding of trucking industry practices, standards, and regulations.
- Negotiation Skills: Ascertain their ability to negotiate strong settlements, potentially avoiding the need for a trial.
- Trial Experience: Investigate their history in the courtroom, should your case proceed to trial.
- Resources: Evaluate their capability to finance your case, which may involve hiring expert witnesses, investigators, and sometimes accident reconstruction experts.
- Communication: Ensure they can convey complex information clearly and respond promptly to your queries.
- Availability: Confirm that they have the bandwidth to dedicate time and resources to your case.
- Reputation: Look for positive reviews, testimonials, and referrals that indicate a good standing in the community.
- Understanding of Medical Issues: Verify their understanding of your symptoms and injuries and the necessary medical treatment.
- Investigative Skills: Assess their ability to collect and scrutinize evidence effectively.
- Ethics: Confirm their adherence to professional and ethical guidelines.
- Client Reviews/Testimonials: Browse through past client experiences to gauge the quality of their services.
- Patience: Ascertain that they can endure the lengthy timeline of truck accident cases.
- Flexibility: Ensure they can adapt to new developments or changes in your case.
- Proactivity: Verify their readiness to stay on top of your case and take necessary steps to advance it.
- Empathy: Gauge their sensitivity towards the emotional impact of your accident and injury.
- Fees: Understand the fee structure they operate on, typically a contingency basis for personal injury lawyers.
- Respect: Determine if they command respect from their peers, court staff, and judges.
- Confidence: Confirm their self-assuredness in negotiating settlements and advocating for you in court.
- Honesty: Ensure they communicate candidly about the potential outcomes and challenges of your case.
- Professionalism: Verify their commitment to timeliness, organized case management, and courteous communication.
- Assertiveness: Ascertain their ability to advocate for your interests assertively.
- Dedication: Confirm their commitment to securing the best possible outcome for your case.
- Geographical Location: Check if they’re familiar with the local court system and laws.
- Strategic Thinking: Assess their ability to formulate an effective case strategy based on your case’s specific facts.
- Understanding of Insurance Company Tactics: Ensure they have experience in handling insurance companies to prevent being short-changed or rushed into a settlement.
Ability to Handle Complex Cases: Confirm their competence in dealing with complex cases involving multiple liable parties, insurance companies, and extensive damages.
How Can The Reeves Law Group Help?
The Reeves Law Group can help you because we are highly experienced with all manner of commercial and large vehicle accidents and we are a firm with the necessary resources needed to win your case. Our San Bernardino office will never settle your case for less than it is worth. Start with a free consultation to assess your case.
Large commercial vehicles have the potential to cause serious and catastrophic damages in a traffic accident and severe injuries to all individuals involved in the accident. Commercial truck accident victims have the legal right to seek recoverable economic, non-economic, and punitive damages due to negligence on the part of the trucking company, or the truck driver because the victims may hold the company that hired the trucker liable for the losses incurred.
Truck companies will generally do everything in their power to avoid liability for accidents caused by their truck drivers. They will employ tactics to try and minimize or avoid altogether paying for damages incurred by the victims.
Although filing a claim against a commercial truck company for negligence will often be your best chance at receiving any compensation, to make sure you receive the full amount of compensation you deserve, it is advisable to let a skilled and knowledgeable truck accident lawyer fight on your behalf against all responsible parties including the trucking companies, the truck drivers employed by them, and their insurance companies.
A relevant testimonial for the Reeves Law Group
“The Reeves Law Group team was helpful in answering my questions when I wasn’t sure exactly what steps to take after my accident.
I was involved in a hit and run on the freeway ramp where the I-405 South transitions into SR-73 South. I wasn’t really “hit.” In fact, the car in front of me was a work truck with a wooden fence mounted around the bed to secure equipment (similar to what many gardeners use). When I drove around the transition ramp a plastic bin fell off so quickly, I couldn’t dodge it. The bin then bounced off the ground and under my car! This lifted the front axel of my car off the ground, resulting in absolutely no control over steering! How could I? I didn’t have any wheels on the ground.
I SPUN and I hit the wall on the driver’s side! The car who hit me… RAN! Of course I couldn’t just follow after him and get his info.
Witnesses saw the front of my car lift off the ground and hit the wall, but because no other party was identified and the police could not find the bin, I was offered nothing! It was the middle of the day, but as far as the insurance company was concerned, no one else was on the freeway and I just “decided” to spin my car around myself to cause the accident. No evidence, no offer.
My lawyer really answered some questions I had regarding my accident. I simply called for a consultation and he really spent time and energy to offer his knowledge and experiences to help me out.”
Jesus C.Via Google
Review Rating: 5 / 5
Date Published: 10-09-2023
Contact Our Truck and Big Rig Accident LAW FIRM
Derek Pakiz and the Reeves Law Group practicing in San Bernardino has won thousands of cases, including numerous catastrophic injury and brain injury lawsuits stemming from truck accidents, and has earned a reputation for professionalism and competence. We have the experience, skill, and resources to ensure that our clients will obtain optimum representation in their semi or tractor trailer crash accident claim.
Can you afford our firm’s services? Yes! Our personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay no fee until you win your truck or commercial vehicle accident case
If you are a victim of a major trucking accident and would like to find out how much your case may be worth, contact us to speak with us and ask for and Derek Pakiz today! Call us at (714) 550-6000 for a free consultation / case review.
We are available at all hours and all days of the week. Get in touch with our experienced trucking wreck law firm right away and let us be your beacon of courage and strength!
[Written by Derek Pakiz. Article updated on 01/22/2024]