Nursing Home Abuse Puts the Elderly at Serious Risk
According to a 2005 study by the California Healthcare Foundation (CHF), violations of state and federal nursing home standards rose between 2001 and 2004, yet the number of citations (fines) decreased.
Signs and Symptoms of Nursing Home Abuse
According to the National Center of Elder Abuse, nursing home abuse and neglect can take many forms, including:
- Physical neglect: disregard for the necessities of daily living
- Medical neglect: lack of care for existing medical problems
- Failure to prevent dehydration, malnutrition, falls, and bed sores
- Failure to assist in personal hygiene
- Unsanitary and unclean conditions
- Failure to protect from health and safety hazards
- Poor access to medical services
- Assault and battery
- Sexual Assault
- Unreasonable physical restraint
- Giving too much or not enough medication
- Slapping, pushing, shaking, beating
- Forcing a person to stay in a room
Nursing home residents are among the most vulnerable members of our society. The elder abuse attorneys at The Reeves Law Group are dedicated to seeking justice on their behalf. If you suspect a family member is a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, please do not hesitate to contact us today at (800) 644-8000.
The financial damages awarded to victims of nursing home abuse not only compensate the individual victims, but they can also encourage all nursing homes to provide better care to their residents.
What Exactly is Personal Injury?
Vulnerable People Placed at Risk
Inadequate staffing and use of physical restraints are just two indicators of poor quality of care. The CHF study revealed that 95 percent of California nursing homes did not meet federal recommendations for adequate staffing and nearly a quarter of the state’s nursing homes did not meet the less rigorous state standards.
Physical restraints were used on residents of California nursing homes at twice the national average.
If you believe that a member of your family may be a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, please contact a nursing home abuse lawyer at The Reeves Law Group for a free consultation and case evaluation. Our attorneys have more than 25 years of experience helping victims of injury, neglect, and abuse to recover compensation for the damages they have suffered.