Personal Injury Lawyers Serving San Diego
Known as the “Birthplace of California,” San Diego is the second largest city in the state, and the eighth largest city in the U.S. The city is home to one of the world’s largest naval fleets, a booming bio-tech industry, and numerous amusement parks and cultural sites. Blessed with one of the best climates in the country (as ranked by the Farmers’ Almanac and The Weather Channel), world-famous beaches, and an enviably low crime rate, San Diego is widely considered one of the most desirable places to live or visit in the United States.
Despite its reputation as one of the most idyllic places to live, San Diego is not immune from accidents and serious injuries. Accidents happen on a regular basis because of someone’s careless, reckless, or negligent actions. California’s Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System for 2010 reported that 174 people were killed and 12,637 were injured in San Diego County traffic accidents. Many other people sustain injuries in slip and fall accidents, cycling collisions, work-place accidents, boating mishaps, and other incidents.
Who Is Responsible for Your Accident?
Each day, millions of San Diegans engage in busy lifestyles that put them at risk of harm on the road, at work, and at play.
- Automotive Accidents. Because San Diegans rely on their vehicles for transportation, most drivers will be involved in at least one auto accident during their lifetimes. When accidents happen, the driver who caused the accident can be held responsible.
- Slip and Falls. Slip and falls are the second leading cause of injuries in the United States. Often slip and fall accidents are caused by a dangerous or hazardous condition on someone else’s property. When this happens, the property owner can be held liable.
- Work-Related Accidents. The average adult will work 8.8 hours a day for 40 years. With so many diverse careers, tasks, and settings for our work, there is a high probability that the average worker will be injured while on the job in a work-related accident. When an accident happens, the worker may be compensated by pursuing a workers’ compensation claim, or in certain circumstances, a lawsuit.
- Product Liability. Consumers rely on designers, manufacturers, and suppliers to sell safe products that work as designed. When a product malfunction causes an accident, those responsible for putting the product into the marketplace can be held responsible.
After An Accident
When an accident happens, you may be in shock and not know how to handle the situation. The following tips will put you in the best position to recover from the traumatic event.
- If you have been injured, seek immediate medical attention. Retain copies of all medical records related to your injuries.
- If you are involved in an auto accident, call the police to the scene and ask them to take photos before clearing the accident site. Request a copy of the police report for your records.
- If you suffer an accident on commercial property, like a hotel or business, request an accident report from the property owner or property manager.
- If you are injured at work, inform your employer, request an accident report, and immediately make a workers’ compensation claim.
- Always photograph the accident site with a camera or cell phone camera. Write down the contact information for all involved parties and witnesses. Record any information that you think could be relevant to the case.
- Never speak to investigators or insurance companies without first speaking with a personal injury lawyer. Any information can be used to limit or defeat your claim.
- Immediately contact an experienced personal injury lawyer with the skill and resources to communicate with all parties, hire investigators, collect evidence, and manage your case from start to finish.
Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney
If you or someone close to you has been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence or carelessness, The Reeves Law Group can provide you with caring, experienced representation. Our firm has focused on personal injury law for more than 25 years. Our attorneys are recognized by insurance companies, judges, and other lawyers for our exceptional client service, expertise, and outstanding results. The Reeves Law Group is proud to be a part of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. This selective group includes only those trial attorneys who have won multi-million dollar awards and settlements for their clients.
Recovery of Compensation
Insurance companies often fight hard to limit or deny accident victims the financial compensation that they deserve. It is important to select a dedicated and experienced personal injury attorney to protect your interests and assure that you will be fully compensated for your injuries. Your compensation should include recovery of your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. In some cases, accident victims may also be entitled to additional punitive damages.
Time is of the Essence
When choosing an attorney, time is of the essence. If relevant evidence is not preserved, it can be lost or damaged. Witnesses may not be able to recall exactly what happened if they are not interviewed soon after the accident. Moreover, if you miss the filing deadline for certain key documents, you could lose your right to recover damages, even if you have compelling evidence to support your claim. When you hire The Reeves Law Group, we will move quickly to make sure that your rights are protected.
Statute of Limitations
After an accident has happened, there is a deadline for the injured person to file a lawsuit against the responsible parties. This is called the statute of limitations. An injured party usually has two years from the date of injury to file a lawsuit. This cut-off date is for auto accidents, slip and falls, product liability cases, and wrongful death actions. However, there are several notable exceptions.
- When the injury isn’t discovered immediately, there is a 1-year limit that begins at the time of discovery of the injury.
- When a minor is injured, the 2-year period begins when the minor turns 18.
- For medical malpractice lawsuits, the statute of limitations is 3 years from the date of the injury, or 1 year from the time of discovery.
Victim Assistance Programs
After an accident, you may need additional services to completely recover from your injuries. There are many organizations in San Diego that provide important help to accident victims.
- The Arc of San Diego is the largest, most comprehensive provider of services to children and adults with disabilities in San Diego County. Through classes, workshops, community living, and individualized counseling, The Arc helps guide individuals with disabilities toward regaining self-sufficiency.
- For children who have been in an accident or witnessed an accident, there can be emotional and psychological trauma left over from the experience. The San Diego Center for Children can help the child recover by providing mental health rehabilitation for post-traumatic stress disorder.
- In the event of a death, the Families Helping Families program at the Jenna Druck Center can provide services and programs for those seeking support, information and guidance after the accident. The program services include support groups, education, community outreach, consultation and training.
Our attorneys are available seven days a week, at any time, to discuss your claim and provide you with helpful information. If you are unable to travel, we will meet with you in your home, hospital room, or place of work.
No Fee Unless We Win
The Reeves Law Group is committed to providing our clients with fair and compassionate representation. To make our services available to everyone, we take personal injury cases on a contingency basis. This means that you pay legal fees only if we win your case. Our firm will also advance all litigation costs for you. As a result, you will not pay any money up front for our services.
As one of San Diego’s leading personal injury law firms, The Reeves Law Group has sufficient resources to fund even the most complicated and expensive litigation. Attorneys without this financial backing may be forced to settle your case too early, for less than you deserve.
Case Management Technology
The Reeves Law Group uses state-of-the-art tools, including specialized legal databases, sophisticated software, and first-rate equipment, which allow us to deliver compelling presentations at arbitrations, mediations, and trials. These resources permit our personal injury lawyers to present your case thoroughly and professionally.
We invite you to view the testimonials and videos of our many highly satisfied clients on our website.
Choosing the Right Personal Injury Attorney
If you or someone close to you has been injured in an accident, The Reeves law Group has the experience and passion to advocate for your rights. For over twenty-five years, The Reeves Law Group has successfully handled settlements and trials for thousands of injured clients. The firm’s size, expertise, and financial resources allow our team of lawyers to succeed against large insurance companies and well-financed corporate and individual defendants. We are passionate about every case we take on and we believe that by vindicating the rights of injury victims we are helping to change the conduct of wrongdoers. If you have suffered an accident, contact The Reeves Law Group and let our skilled and passionate attorneys work for you.
Our San Diego accident lawyers’ meeting location is located at 402 West Broadway, in order to provide a convenient place to meet our clients and facilitate the handling of their cases. If you are in need of a personal injury attorney, contact us at (619) 764-6502 for a free consultation.