What is Your Personal Injury Case Worth?
Your accident lawyer will analyze your personal injury case to determine what you may be able to recover on your personal injury claim. Assessing the value of your personal injury case requires that an accident attorney be familiar with this specialized area of law.
Potential Recovery for Your Personal Injury
Your accident lawyer will review a number of factors to determine the potential maximum recovery you may obtain from your personal injury. These include:
- the kinds of losses you have suffered from your personal injury
- the extent of medical and other health care bills related to your personal injury
- payments you have made for related pain and other prescription medications
- losses relating to property damage
- income you may have lost due to your personal injury
- any life-changing disabilities caused by your personal injury
- the pain and suffering you may have experienced
Your accident attorney should have the necessary expertise to assign a value to each of these different components of your claim. An experienced lawyer can use recognized methods to quantify many of these losses for the court.
In addition, your accident lawyer must assess the probability that you will in fact recover for your personal injury. This can depend on many factors, including:
- the strength of the evidence proving that someone caused your personal injury
- the amount of documentation of your medical expenses and other losses
- your accident attorney’s ability to negotiate with your insurance company
An experienced accident attorney can look at all these factors to help you understand what your case may be worth.
Pain and Suffering
While your accident lawyer can use available documents to quantify medical costs and other specific losses from your injury, pain and suffering is far more intangible. “Pain and suffering” is how the law refers to the physical and mental anguish you have suffered as a result of your accident. Your attorney can find ways to help measure this anguish for the jury or for a negotiated settlement.
It is your accident attorney’s job to let the jury, the insurance company, the defense attorney, and the judge, know the full extent of your suffering from the personal injury, and to convince the jury that you deserve compensation for this anguish. An experienced accident attorney will advocate for you by telling the story of your personal injury and how it has affected your life.